In this chapter you will investigate polynomials and polynomial functions and learn how to perform mathematical operations on them.
- 5.0: Prelude to Polynomial and Polynomial Functions
- You can use bitcoins to pay for goods at some companies, or save them as an investment. Although the future of bitcoins is uncertain, investment brokers are beginning to investigate ways to make business predictions using this digital currency. Understanding how bitcoins are created and obtained requires an understanding of a type of function known as a polynomial function.
- 5.1: Add and Subtract Polynomials
- We have learned how to simplify expressions by combining like terms. Remember, like terms must have the same variables with the same exponent. Since monomials are terms, adding and subtracting monomials is the same as combining like terms. If the monomials are like terms, we just combine them by adding or subtracting the coefficients.
- 5.3: Multiply Polynomials
- We are ready to perform operations on polynomials. Since monomials are algebraic expressions, we can use the properties of exponents to multiply monomials.