What You’ll Learn To Do: Describe set theory and perform operations.
- Describe memberships of sets, including the empty set, using proper notation, and decide whether given items are members and determine the cardinality of a given set.
- Describe the relations between sets regarding membership, equality, subset, and proper subset, using proper notation.
- Perform the operations of union, intersection, complement, and difference on sets using proper notation.
- Be able to draw and interpret Venn diagrams of set relations and operations and use Venn diagrams to solve problems.
- Recognize when set theory is applicable to real-life situations, solve real-life problems, and communicate real-life problems and solutions to others.
The learning activities for this module include:
Reading Assignments and Videos
- Read: Set Theory
- Read: Supplemental Videos for Set Theory
- Read: Verbal, Roster, and Set-Builder Notation for a Set
- Read: Consider a Set
- Review: Helpful Links
- Submit: Set Theory Homework #1 (16 points)
- Submit: Set Theory Homework #2 (14 points)
- Discuss: Application of Set Theory (20 points)
CC licensed content, Original
- Mathematics for the Liberal Arts I. Provided by: Extended Learning Institute of Northern Virginia Community College. Located at: http://eli.nvcc.edu/. License: CC BY: Attribution
Public domain content
- Image of Finger. Authored by: geralt. Located at: https://pixabay.com/en/finger-touch-hand-structure-769300/. License: Public Domain: No Known Copyright