The purpose of this lesson is to learn how to rotate shapes.
This lesson will address the following CCRS Standard(s) for Geometry:
- 8.G.2: Understand that a two-dimensional figure is congruent to another if the second can be obtained from the first by a sequence of rotations, reflections, and translations; given two congruent figures, describe a sequence that exhibits the congruence between them
- Take notes while watching videos below
- Go to http://wamap.org and log into our course to complete assignment 4.B with 80% or better.
Complete assignment 4.B with 80% or better at http://wamap.org
In this lesson we have learned:
- Rotations turn each point around a given point at a given angle
- Rotating 90 degrees shifts the point (x,y) to (-y,x)
- Rotating 180 degrees shifts the point (x,y) to (-x,-y)
- Rotating 270 degrees shifts the point (x,y) to (y,-x)
- The resulting shape is still congruent to the original shape
- Rotations, Reflections, and Translations can be combined to create various congruent shapes.