This book will help you to understand elementary mathematics more deeply, gain facility with creating and using mathematical notation, develop a habit of looking for reasons and creating mathematical explanations, and become more comfortable exploring unfamiliar mathematical situations.
- The idea of expressing all quantities by nine digits whereby is imparted to them both an absolute value and a value of position is so simple that this very simplicity is the very reason for our not being sufficiently aware how much admiration it deserves. -Laplace
- The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple. -S. Gudder
- Doing mathematics should always mean finding patterns and crafting beautiful and meaningful explanations. -Paul Lockhart
- Solving a problem for which you know there’s an answer is like climbing a mountain with a guide, along a trail someone else has laid. In mathematics, the truth is somewhere out there in a place no one knows, beyond all the beaten paths. – Yoko Ogawa
- A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction. —Leo Tolstoy
- I always say when you see that old black-and-white footage of the rocket on the launch pad and it falls over and explodes, that’s because people had slide rules. Not having the decimal point is a real drawback. You want the decimal point, take it from me. -Bill Nye