Communicate and Engage With Your Instructor and Peers
- Page ID
There are multiple ways to interact in your Canvas course. Some interactions include Announcements, Discussions, and Conversations. Announcements are a way for instructors to communicate with students about course activities. Students can only create announcements in a group workspace. With Discussions, Canvas provides an integrated system for focused and threaded discussions, which allows both instructors and students alike to start and contribute to as many discussion topics as desired. Conversations is the messaging tool used instead of email to communicate within the Canvas course with a group, an individual student, a group of students, or with your instructor. In your course, you will also participate in Groups. A Canvas Group will provide a collaborative workspace where you can share files, hold video conferences, or work on writing assignments.
Instructions for Communication in Canvas
Announcements (All Class Participants)
- Click the appropriate Announcement title.
- Leave a reply for appropriate announcement.
Discussions (All Class Participants)
- Click the appropriate Discussion title.
- Leave a reply for appropriate discussion.
Conversations/Inbox (One or more recipients)
- Click the Inbox link in the Help Corner.
- Enter a name, course, or group you would like to send a message to.
- Write and send the message.
Learn more about communicating with your instructor and peers in Canvas.
Instructions for participating in a Group
- Locate Courses & Groups on the Global Navigation Menu.
- Hover over Courses & Groups to view the groups you are enrolled in. Groups will appear to the right of course enrollments.
- You will only see groups if you are enrolled in at least one group.