1.1: Homework Chapter 1
- Page ID
The Scope of Chemistry (Libretext) and the Scientific Method
1. Define Chemistry
2. Which of the following is not matter?
a. A song
b. A rock
c. A piece of paper
3. Which of the following is matter?
4. Select the key term that corresponds to each of the following definitions
(d) analytical chemistry
(f) organic chemistry
(f) scientific method
____ 1) A scientific procedure for gathering data and recording observations or measurements under controlled conditions.
____2) A systematic investigation that consists of making observations, formulating hypotheses, and designing experiments, which in turn lead to additional observations, hypotheses, and experiments in repeated cycles
____3) A well-established explanation of a scientific principle supported by extensive experimental data collected over time.
____4) A tentative proposal of a scientific principle that attempts to explain the meaning of a set of data collected in an experiment
____5) The study of the composition of matter (focusing on separation, identification, and quantification of chemicals in samples of matter).
____6) The study of carbon containing chemical substances.
5. Classify each statement as a law, a theory, an experiment, a hypothesis, or an observation.
- Pure ethanol boils at 78.5oC.
- In a chemical reaction the total mass of reactants is equal to the total mass of products in a closed container.
- Measured amounts of 10% silver nitrate solution were added to sodium chloride solution to determine the mass of silver chloride produced under carefully controlled conditions.
- The volume of a given amount of gas increases as the temperature increases at constant temperature and pressure.
6. Classify each statement as a law, a theory, an experiment, a hypothesis, or an observation.
- A yellow solid formed when a 2 mL diluted clear solution of lead nitrate reacted with a 2 mL diluted clear solution of lead iodide.
- Matter is composed of discreet units called atoms.
- The solubility of a gas is directly proportional to the pressure applied to the gas.
- Different patients (previously screened) were given varying doses of aspirin and their blood pressure monitored at very specific periods of time.
- The newly extracted metal is gray in color.
7. Do an internet search using one of the five chemistry areas as a search term. List at least two employment opportunities for experts in the field.
8. Do an internet search for recent trends or discoveries (within 5 years or earlier) in one of the five chemistry areas. Provide detailed information of what the recent trend or discovery is all about.
9. List different suggestions on how to study for chemistry? CHECK The Video on Libretext.