The purpose of this lesson is to learn how to perform dilations on figures.
This lesson will address the following CCRS Standard(s) for Geometry:
- 8.G.4: Understand that a two-dimensional figure is similar to another if the second can be obtained from the first by a sequence of rotations, reflections, translations, and dilations; given two similar two-dimensional figures, describe a sequence that exhibits the similarity between them
- Take notes while watching videos below
- Go to http://wamap.org and log into our course to complete assignment 4.C with 80% or better.
Complete assignment 4.C with 80% or better at http://wamap.org
In this lesson we have learned:
- A dilation will create a similar figure whose sides are proportional to the original shape.
- The point (a,b) when dilated with a scale factor of r centered at the origin will create the new point (ar,br)
- Scale factors greater than 1 enlarge the image.
- Scale factors less than 1 (greater than zero) shrink the image.